- South And West, Joan Didion
- Sex Object, Jessica Valenti
- When Women Were Birds, Terry Tempest Williams
- Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen
- Clothes Clothes Clothes, Music Music Music, Boys Boys Boys—Viv Albertine (she has a new memoir out this year, which I eagerly await.)
- I always read the yearly Best American Travel Writing anthology, and this year also read the Best American Science & Nature Writing.
- A book I wanted to love, but didn't: Devotion, by Patti Smith.
- A book I finally finished after starting and abandoning two years ago: The Anthropology of Turquoise, by Ellen Meloy
Late to the party on most of these but finally digging in.
- The Sarah Book, Scott McLanahan
- Pulphead, John Jeremiah Sullivan
- Against Everything, Mark Greif
- Negroland, Margo Jefferson
- Brain On Fire, Susannah Callahan
- Barbarian Days, William Finnegan
- Meet Me In The Bathroom, Lizzie Goodman
- Music for Chameleons—Truman Capote
- River Hymns, Tyree Daye